Sunday, March 3, 2013

Blogging the CCAR convention


Rabbi Bloom's Blog at the CCAR Conference in Long Beach, Ca.
Good Afternoon to all my friends and congregants. Yes I have arrived in Long Beach to attend the annual CCAR convention. And as you know it is my practice to share with you my experience attending the convention. Since you are generous to enable to attend it is my  feeling that you should have a sense that I am actually getting some really important insights that enhance my professional growth. Of course I enjoy the interaction with many colleagues especially when we have so few rabbis in our region. It is a real m'chayah!
Today we can connect over the internet and skype but there is no substituting for the face to face contact between us all. we have lots of issues to discuss that are critical to Reform Judaism. There is  also great value in enjoying the opportunity to study  with a great teacher whether it is in the area of Talmud, Bible or History. Just to sit in a conference room and learn together is a a beautiful thing and rejuvenates the soul.

The theme of this year's Conference is "Rabbis Leading the Shift:  Jewish Possibility in a Rapidly Changing World" This morning there was a  session called Justice in the City:  Acting Like God not Like Pharaoh. and Changing World:  Two Talmudic Models.
We will have the opening program of the Convention including the Opening Night Dinner (We are staying at the Westin and I am not a big fan of hotel banquet food.). But tonight we will be watching a film called Connected by Tiffany Shlain. I'll find out more about that.

No comments: